Sunday, July 8, 2007

Poison Eggs





















I'm supposed to be recounting our Fourth of July party, held at our house on Mall Avenue, but I'd like to wait until I can steal some photographs from people who actually took them.

Meanwhile, since I am newly (diagnosed as) ill, and I continue to trace this illness back to a poison omelette I ate in Joshimath, I would like to share this poster from Badrinath with you. Roughly translated, it reads "The egg is a living thing, not a mango or potato; all are beautiful breathing things, what's the use in eating them?" Basically, it's pro-pure-vegetarian propaganda. In India, the egg is indeed considered meat, and the 'non-veg' option on many breakfast journeys (Lucknow Shatabdi Express, for instance) is an omlette. However, considering my recent confrontation with the incredible egg, I am more inclined to agree with the disgruntled housewife in the poster, who is yelling at the hapless sabzi-walla (vegetable seller) who's expanded into the egg business:

"The egg is not a vegetable! Understand the difference!"

1 comment:

owen100 said...

Katy, I'm so glad the "got to the bottom" of your problem! I thought your description of the little amoebas hanging out in your body was great too: "they burrow into your intestines and hide for the first few times you take the medicine. But then they peek out to see if the coast is clear, and that's when you zap 'em with another dose." Hope you're feeling better soon. Love, Dad